Saturday, November 25, 2006

Frailty

Something random always comes up at Thanxgiving dinner. This year we started talking about the movie Frailty, which is one of my favorites. Talking about the movie lead to going out to rent the movie and watch it again. Rewatching the movie lead to remembering why I love this movie so much. The first time I rented it was after hearing Howard Stern raving about how great it was, in the same way that I rented Tao of Steve after hearing him raving about that movie. And Tao of Steve was good, so I went out and rented Frailty. Stern was right again.

The one thing I always found interesting about this movie, and the reason I'm posting about it, is the way that it was marketed. For instance:
























Seems like the cover art is meant to attract fans of horror flicks like The Ring, etc... The opening credits and even the name of the movie seem to be trying to attach it to that genre. But this movie is NOTHING like those movies. I wonder if the marketing worked. How many people rented Frailty hoping for a The Ringish sort of movie, and got something completely different. On the flip side, how many people didn't rent it because they avoid that kind of movie. If you've seen it, you know what I mean. If you haven't seen it yet, go rent it now. Great. Movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home