Monday, October 27, 2008

Wristbands & Handstamps - CMJ '08

If you haven't been following along over @ Bumpershine, here's how my CMJ went:

Wed:

CMJ finally begins for me around 10:00pm. HURRAY!

See at least one song by - Bad Veins, The Lisps, Motel Motel, My Teenage Stride, A Sunny Day In Glasgow (very good), Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Crystal Antlers (didn’t like them as much as I thought I would), The Muggabears (love love love), and Juvelen (out of control). I might have seen Heloise and Ringo too.

Then there was a crazy car ride over to Ludlow, and a random stop at Cake Shop for The Browns and The Muslims. I immediately understood why The Muslims are playing every show @ CMJ.

Thurs:

Pick up badge and then straight to Pianos. Saw some of Sebastian G (Ehh). Loved Wye Oak. Had dinner during Phosphorescent. Over to Fader for Tobacco (interesting), Friendly Fires (VERY GOOD), one song by Death Vessel and then off to The Annex. Little Boots TOOK FUCKING FOREVER to get set up, but when they finally started playing, I liked them. She’s no Katy Perry (swoon), but she’s also kinda sexy. First time seeing Passion Pit and I liked not loved them. Need to see them again I think. Then to Mercury for Pela who NEVER disappoint. I don’t get why they are not HUGE. Jukebox the Ghost were tight as a drum but looked tired. Woke up with one of their songs in my Friday morning (afternoon?). Get some rest boys, three more shows Friday. Then tried to get into HIFI (a line? really?) before going over to Studio where I saw that Japanese Motors guy hang from that sprinkler pipe. Would have been amazing if the pipe had broke. The End.

Fri:

Friday was as much about what didn't happen as what did happen. Started the day @ Bell House for travels first NYC show. They were excellent. Told me that Metal Hearts and Victory At Sea were officially dead and that travels will be back in town again soon. Also saw a little bit of Wild Sweet Orange. The little bit I saw was solid. Went to Lit to see Snowman, but I guess they weren't able to make the trip from Australia. Earlier in the day I found out that The Black and White Years had cancelled their trip from Austin to CMJ as well, so also didn't get to see them Friday. Went to Fader and saw a different Aussie band, The Seabellies, who were pretty good. Then School of Seven Bells came on and I think they were also good, but those two girls are way too distractingly beautiful. Heard one Phenominal Handclap Band song before heading to Acme for a delicious dinner. After dinner went downstairs for LoveLikeFire. They were so great. I'm jealous of San Fran folks that get to see them play with Finest Dearest all the time. They were the last band I saw for a while, because Mercury, Pianos, and Cake Shop all were not letting anyone else in. Prav texted me and told me to come to Irving Plaza, so I did and got there right in time for Late Of The Pier. I don't know how to describe them. Disco metal psyche rock? Wanted to see Soulwax, so I hung out while James LaVelle of Unkle djed for an hour. He was really good but I was too tired to enjoy it and ended up leaving before Soulwax.

Sat:

Saturday went much better, well except for our showcase being cancelled. I had been avoiding the bands that were playing our Sat showcase, so I was glad that was able to catch Ruby Suns @ Music Hall. They reminded me of a simplified Architecture in Helsinki. Ate a free hot dog and then went next door for Drink Up Buttercup. Great as usual. Went back to Music Hall for Monotonix and WTF. I think seeing Monotonix is like finding a used condom in your room. It's pretty foul but you know that something awesome happened. Then walked over to Glasslands for Moby Dick and The End of the World. Both were good. Ate dinner @ Papa Lima. Off to Fat Baby. Saw Real Ones (very fun) and FanFarlo (very good, if not just a little tooo much like Beirut, BSS, CYHSY, etc.). Then went to Mercury Lounge to see Wye Oak again. They have the honor of being the only band that I saw twice during CMJ and I wish I had seen them a hundred times. SOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOODDD. Then to Delancey for a nice set by the creators of my favorite album of '08, The Secret Life of Sofia. After them I teleported over to the Red Bull Space just in time for Delta Spirit and FREE!!!! Guinness. So, Trashcan is pretty much the song of '08, right? Then Scotty beamed me over to Rehab for The Coast, who were so great that I decided to end my CMJ after seeing them.

All in all another excellent CMJ experience. And even though I am still recoving:

Who is up for doing the Born Ruffians trifecta with me this week? Meet me @ Mercury tonight around 10. Plants and Animals are playing too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home