Thursday, December 21, 2006

Live Blogging WOXY's Best of 2006

Have you been listening to WOXY's Best of 2006 countdown. Or discussing it? I have. And now that they have broken into the Top 50, I think I may start live blogging it. At least, if Blogger cooperates. Here's the list for far:

1. Built To Spill - You In Reverse (Fitting. Phew...done. BTW - If you don't have this album yet and you want it, go to Tower, because the last time I was there they still had TONS of them and they are probably only about $3 by now)
2. TV On The Radio - Return To Cookie Mountian - (Great album. Hopefully Blogger can stay alive for the #1. It's on life support right now.)
3. Arctic Monkeys - What Ever Eveyone Says I Am I'm Not - (Got my vote for most over blogged band in the Gummies, and they won!)
4. Silversun Pickups - Carnavas - (Also makes sence. They got a ton of airplay)
5. Band Of Horses - Everything All The Time (Makes sence)
6. Hot Chip - The Warning (Were they really played on WOXY this much? Interesting...)
7. Thom Yorke - The Eraser (My #1. I'm happy with it at #7 here. What the fuck is wrong with P-Fork not even putting it in their Top 50. It's the beginning of the end for that site)
8. The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics (I like The Wand. Maybe a bit high)
9. Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood (See #19)
10. Birdmonster - No Midnight (#10. AWESOME. I guessed that it would be #11. My #5 Congrats B-monster! Rachael can stop worrying)
11. Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit (Meh)
12. Bound Stems - Appreciation Night (YAYAYAYAYAY!!! My #3. Love this album sooo much. You absolutely must get if it you don't have it already. But Shiv - why Western Biographic? No Colonel?)
13. Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped
14. Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere (Where would this be on the list if you took Crazy off the album?)
15. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones (At least this isn't in the Top 10)
16. The Black Angels - Passover (Just got my hands on this one after seeing it on sooo many year end lists. Need to give it some more time)
A break! Thank you Shiv. Needed one. Bathroom - check. Food - check. Drink - check. Ready for more list!
17. Aloha - Some Echoes (Definitely didn't expect this album to be this high. My #34)
18. The Twilight Singer - Powder Burns (My friend Scott has been raving about this album to me, but he prefers Blackberry Belle)
19. Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twin (Mike pointed out how they can tell exactly when listeners tune out. This would be one for me. Hated the "I'm going to make a country solo album" trend of 2006)
20. Lily Allen - Alright, Still (FUN! Good way to break into the Top 20)
21. Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther (One of my Top 10 fav songs of 2006. My #29, although I like this at their 21)
22. Cat Power - The Greatest
23. Heartless Bastards - All This Time (I'm not in love with this band like the rest of WOXY is)
24. Metal Hearts - Socialize (mmmmm. This is right where it should be. My #20)
25. Forget Cassettes - Salt (Thought this would be higher. I think that it will stand up as a classic for years to come. If you haven't heard this album yet, get on that)
26. Tapes & Tapes - The Loon
27. Phoenix - It's Never Been Like That (I want some Funky Squaredance!)
28. The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers (A new White Stripes album can't come soon enough)
29. Gomez - How We Operate (Not my fav Gomez, but it is very good. Maybe a lil high on the list. Just missed my list)
30. Dirty On Purpose - Hallelujah Sirens (too high)
31. Rainer Maria - Catastrophe Keeps Us Together (zzzzz)
32. Mason Proper - There Is A Moth In Your Chest (Excellent. Pick. I'm getting back into this)
33. Cold War Kids - Robbers & Cowards (What a great song. Rachael guessed it.)
34. Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Ballad Of The Broken Seas
35. Zero 7 - The Garden (I'm starting to get a lil bored. BTW - Discussing this list with Rachael of The Underrated Blog. So far, she has been very happy with Shivs song picks. Once this list is done, you should all go listen to The Blog Show over at Breakthru Radio.)
36. Secret Machines - Ten Silver Drops
37. Drive-By Truckers - A Blessing And A Curse (As I was saying... I wonder what this year's The Whole Fantastic World is going to be)
38. The Strokes - First Impressions Of Earth (This list is starting to get a bit to typical. I want more WOXYish picks)
39. Camera Obscura - Lets Get Out Of This Country
40. Beck - The Information
41. Asobi Seksu - Citrus
42. The Long Winters - Putting The Days To Bed (Love this one. Just missed my 40)
43. Goldfrapp - Supernature (I know others are big fans, I am not. So far, not crazy about the 40-50)
44. Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid And I Will Beat Your Ass (Not my cup, but yeah)
45. The Gossip - Standing In The Way Of Control (ok)
46. Wolfmother - Wolfmother
47. Mates of State - Bring It Back
48. The Decemberists - The Crane Wife (wow. 48??? Really?)
49. Irving - Death in the Garden, Blood on the Flowers (Meh)
50. The Fiery Furnaces - Bitter Tea (ugg)
51. Clearlake - Amber
52. Say Hi To Your Mom - Impeccable Blahs
53. The Futureheads - News and Tributes
54. Apollo Up! - Chariots of Fire
55. The Thermals - The Body, The Blood, The Machine (WAY WAY too low)
56. Robert Pollard - From a Compound Eye
57. The Teenage Prayers - Ten Songs
58. The French Kicks - Two Thousand
59. Regina Spector - Begin To Hope
60. Destroyer - Rubies (Also way too low)
61. Headlights - Kill Them With Kindness
62. The Black Heart Procession - The Spell
63. Staggering Statistics - All Of This And More
64. Snowden - Anti Anti
65. Beirut - Gulag Orkestar (Should be higher)
66. Margot and the Nuclear So & So's - The Dust of Retreat
67. South - Adventures In The Underground Journey To The Stars
68. The Elected - Sun Sun Sun
69. Grandaddy - Just Like The Family Cat
70. Stereolab - Fab Four Suture
71. Cedars - Another Season
72. I Love You But I Have Choosen Darkness - The Fear Is On Our Side
73. Mojave 3 - Puzzles Like You
74. Oh No! Oh My! - Oh No! Oh My! (too low)
75. The Radio Dept. - Pet Grief
76. The Changes - Today is Tonight
77. Sparklehorse - Dreamt For Light Years In The Belly Of A Mountain
78. The Walkmen - A Hundred Miles Off
79. The Hold Steady - Boys & Girls In America (Wow. Gummies #1)
80. The Long Blondes - Someone To Drive You Home
81. The Apparitions - As This Is Futuristic
82. Archie Bronson Outfit - Dardang Derdang
83. Cut Chemist - The Audience Is Listening
84. Tilly And The Wall - Bottoms of Barrels
85. The Knife - Silent Shout (P-Forks #1. HAHA. This is where it belongs)
86. Junior Boys - So This Is Goodbye
87. The Ms - Future Women
88. Sufjan Stevens - The Avalanche...
89. Mew - And the Glass-Handed Kites
90. The Dears - Gang Of Losers
91. Figurines - Skeleton
92. The Black Keys - Magic Potion
93. White Whale - WWI
94. The Roots - Game Theory
95. Guillemots - Through The Windowpane
96. The Little Ones - Sing Song
97. The Turnbull A.C.s - The Trunbull A.C.s

6 Comments:

At 12/21/2006 3:21 PM, Blogger DawnP said...

NIce blog ... check out mine at aholeinthemiddle.com thnks

 
At 12/21/2006 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We only spun "Crazy" about sixty times, so it would still have probably have been in the Top 30. We went pretty deep on the record upon its release.

 
At 12/21/2006 5:15 PM, Blogger Battering Room said...

Fair enough.

 
At 12/21/2006 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SHIV!!! where is birdmonster?>!? im getting nervous.

 
At 12/21/2006 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins 4-EVER. :-)

 
At 12/23/2006 9:22 PM, Blogger Wayne Massingham said...

liked your comments, the knife did belong at 85 or even lower, beirut, oh no oh my and destroyer are way too low. However i do love neko and jenny. Also where was sunset rubdown? but all in all WOXY's list did pretty good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home